The 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations became mandatory for electrical installation from 1st January 2019.
What is the 18th Edition?
The 18th edition provides new regulations for the industry. These provide updated and improved safety measures for installers and ensure the customer is safe. It is worth noting that a large focus of the new regulation is energy efficiency.
Key changes of 18th Edition include:
- Surge protection devices (SPDs) with mandatory requirements
- Arc fault detection devices (AFDDs) with recommendations only
- Changes to Selectivity, previously discrimination, regarding the selection of over current and residual current devices will now require a more detailed design of the installation
- Closer scrutiny of the compatibility of a range of devices, when included in a Distribution Board or Consumer Unit to make sure the manufacturer approves their use
- Model forms have been revised, especially the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. The Test and Inspection Schedules have also had significant changes
- Any new, additions, alteration work or electrical installation condition reports now requires the use of 18th Edition certification or reports.